Where Do You Come From?

whereareyoufrom

With the recent European Union referendum having raised the issue of how European, British or Scottish, people feel. I thought that it would be worthwhile checking my own background. The results of my DNA test conducted by Ancestry.com confirm that my paternal forefathers were Vikings who arrived in Ayrshire more than 750 years ago. With their long blond hair, they were referred to as ‘Goldies’ or in Scots ‘Goudies’.

[ Scotland has a long tradition of naming people after the colour of their hair, with the most common name in Scotland being Brown, there’s also Reid (red), Black, White, Gray. Conversely in England, people where named after their occupation, hence the most common name south of the Tweed being Smith. Other examples include: Thatcher; Cooper; Carter etc.]

It is perhaps surprising that, after all this time, 12% of my DNA is still Scandinavian. I have more recent Irish links in both my mother and father’s families and 60% of my DNA is Irish. Perhaps I should apply for an Irish Passport.

18% of my DNA is from Europe West, which may have surprised me in the past but I recently discovered that my maternal Great Grand Father came from the Isle of Wight, which is included in that region.

As far as being British is concerned, I’m informed that the average native Brit has 60% British DNA. I on the other hand have only 6%.

That takes us to 96% of my DNA, less than 3% are what are known as ‘trace regions’.  These are regions where I seem to have just a trace amount of genetic ethnicity — there is only a small amount of evidence supporting the regions as part of my genetic ethnicity. Because both the estimated amount and the range of the estimate are small, it is possible that these regions appear by chance and are not actually part of my genetic ethnicity. But for the record, I have 2% from the Iberian Peninsula and less than 1% from Europe East.

 

europe

So who am I?

I am therefore, at least 99% European. The other 1%, with the above caveat in mind, comes from West Asia, the Caucasus region.

European 99%

  • Ireland                60%
  • Europe West     18%
  • Scandinavia      12%
  • Great Britain     6%
  • Trace Regions    3%

West Asia < 1%

  • Trace Region < 1%

See here

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s