My previous Dark Chocolate and Beetroot Cake was a little drier than I would have hoped. I still had some pitted dates left, from my banana and date loaf. I keep a stock of almond nuts and my fridge has always got, at least, one large carton of Natural Greek Yogurt in it. I don’t tend to use white sugar but I keep some for my brother, who takes it in his tea and coffee. This recipe allowed me to make a truly mouth watering, sumptuous, dark chocolate cake with all the goodness of beetroot, almonds and yogurt. Why not give it a try?
Ingredients (Serves 10)
|2 medium||Beetroot, about 320-340g|
|180 grams||Thick greek yoghurt|
|180 grams||White sugar|
|180 grams||Dates,roughly chopped|
|100 grams||Plain flour|
|30 grams||Cocoa powder, good quality|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|100 grams||Ground almonds|
|150 grams||Dark chocolate, good quality, broken into pieces|
|180 ml||Oil, neutral or nut (I used corn)|
- Heat oven to 200C.
- Wrap each whole beetroot individually in kitchen foil and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer goes through the middle with no resistance. Unwrap beetroot and allow to cool before peeling. Roughly chop.
- Lower oven temperature to 180C. Grease and line a round cake tin (approx. 25cm in size) with baking paper. I used two smaller cake tins.
- Place dates and water in a small pot. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until dates are mushed up.
- Puree beetroot with yoghurt in a food processor until well combined. Add eggs, sugar and date puree, and blitz until well combined.
- Sieve flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together in a large bowl. Mix in ground almonds.
- Melt chocolate gently in a bowl over simmering water. Stir in oil.
- Add the melted chocolate and beetroot mixtures to the large bowl with the flour mixture. Fold together with a large metal spoon until well combined. Do not over-mix. Don’t worry about the consistency being ‘liquidy’. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin(s) and bake for 60 minutes (180C). The cake is moist, so a skewer inserted into the middle will not come out clean).
- Stand 5-10 minutes before removing from tin(s).
- Enjoy perhaps served with some natural Greek yoghurt and/or store in a cake tin and share with friends over coffee.
Based on a recipe from Nadia Lim